How to Apply
Applications must include:
- 500-1000 word statement for the applicant
- one single referee letter, this can have multiple signatures
- An updated curriculum vitae (PDF format required)
- Include detail of involvement in and service to APS
- Include detail of involvement in mentoring of an/or support of the furthering of others' activities and careers, leadership potential, and teamwork
- Reprints of 2-6 publications of the work for which the nomination is being made
Deadline has passed.
The Herbert Weiner Early Career Award is intended to identify individuals who, early in their career, have contributed significantly to the field of psychosomatic medicine and show substantial promise of continued meritorious academic accomplishments in the field.
The first “Early Career Award” was awarded in 1991, and in 2002, the name of the award was expanded to the “Herbert Weiner Early Career Award.”
- A plaque signifying the award
- The opportunity to present the research for which the award was given during APS Annual Meeting.
Criteria for Nominees:
- New this year, all applications must be self-nominations
- Must be members of the American Psychosomatic Society
- Be fewer than ten years past receipt of their highest academic degree
- CV and statements should include details of the context surrounding the candidate’s contribution
- Those with post-degree clinical training (e.g. internship or residency) must be fewer than ten years past completion of their clinical training
2022: Jennifer Sumner, PhD 2021: Annie Ginty, PhD 2020: Christopher Fagundes, PhD 2019: Aoife O'Donovan, PhD 2018: Aric A. Prather, PhD 2017: J. David Creswell, PhD 2016: George Slavich, PhD 2015: Sarah Pressman, PhD 2014: David Sbarra, PhD 2013: Nicolas Rohleder, PhD 2012: Mark Hamer, PhD 2011: Naomi Eisenberger, PhD 2010: Anna Phillips, PhD 2009: Brigitte M. Kudielka, PhD 2008: Peter Gianaros, PhD 2007: Roland von Kaenel, MD 2006: Mary A. Whooley, MD 2005: Gregory E. Miller, PhD 2004: Mustafa al'Absi, PhD 2003: Dominique L. Musselman, MD 2002: Susan K. Lutgendorf, PhD 2001: Susan S. Girdler, PhD 2000: Shari R. Waldstein, PhD 1999: Alan J. Christensen, PhD 1998: Willem Kop, PhD 1997: Susan Everson, PhD 1996: Julian F. Thayer, PhD 1995: Paul J. Mills, PhD 1994: Shin Fukudo, MD 1993: J. Rick Turner, PhD 1992: Timothy W. Smith, PhD 1991: Michael R. Irwin, MD