The Miriam Hospital and the Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior at the Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University seek an outstanding behavioral scientist to serve as Director of the Center for Behavioral and Preventive Medicine (CBPM).
Building upon the CBPM’s 43 years (to date, the CBPM has received more than $100-million in research funding) and the enormous institutional strengths of Lifespan Health System, the Miriam Hospital, Weight Control and Diabetes Research Center, the Warren Alpert Medical School, Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, the School of Public Health, and other departments, the new Director will have the opportunity to cast an ambitious vision for the CBPM’s future. There are numerous possibilities to deepen current research areas and to initiate new research ones.
The new Director will lead the CBPM and its faculty toward the goals of:
- maintaining and strengthening the research portfolio
- optimizing the scientific yield and public health impact of the work
- facilitating training in clinical research through Brown University’s excellent clinical psychology residency and postdoctoral training programs
About the CBPM and Faculty:
The CBPM has funded investigators who hold academic appointments across several departments, including the Psychiatry and Human Behavior, Medicine, Behavioral and Social Sciences, and Epidemiology at The Warren Alpert Medical School and School of Public Health.
Funded by NIH, foundation, and Center grants with strong financial support from The Miriam Hospital, the CBPM has 14 faculty members, many of whom have national and international reputations and are recognized as thought leaders in their fields. The faculty has expertise in both qualitative and quantitative methods (e.g., psychometrics, biostatistics, and meta-analysis) and conduct research in clinical, community, laboratory, and online venues. Faculty seek to discover the mechanisms underlying behavioral factors in health and illness, and to translate those discoveries into interventions for health promotion and disease management.
The CBPM’s 45 administrative staff is dedicated, talented and instrumental in supporting activities of the faculty. The CBPM serves as Brown’s training center in behavioral and preventive medicine. The CBPM provides research placement for psychology residents in the Brown University APA-accredited and widely-renowned clinical psychology internship program. It also serves as a mentor and research home for postdoctoral fellows who are supported by several NIH-funded T32 training grants.
With an international reputation, the Director is expected to:
- Maintain (at least 50 percent of the time) a high level of scientific productivity within an area of behavioral medicine
- Qualify for a faculty position at the rank of Full Professor in Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior
- Recruit and mentor residents, postdoctoral fellows, and junior faculty and facilitate their development as independent research scientists
- Provide strong administrative, financial, and operational leadership and management
- Serving as the CBPM’s champion, the Director must also offer excellent leadership to guide the CBPM’s educational, training, and teaching activities and programs
The successful candidate will receive a competitive compensation package and an attractive start-up package.
The CBPM has retained the services of Diversified Search to assist in this search.
Please submit a CV and cover letter in confidence to http://apply.interfolio.com/72201