The Young Investigator Colloquium (YIC) is a half-day pre-conference colloquium designed to contribute to the academic success of postgraduate “rising star” trainees (i.e., physician fellows, residents, postdoctoral fellows, and early career faculty who recently completed training) by providing mentorship and productive feedback related to their research proposals. The YIC program relies on the research and mentoring expertise of our APS members and their commitment to fostering the careers of young scholars. We are seeking applications from APS members who desire to serve as YIC mentors at the 2024 APS Annual Meeting in Brighton, United Kingdom in March 2024.
YIC mentors will receive:
- A travel stipend to offset in-person participation in the 2024 APS Annual Meeting
- Complimentary registration to a pre-conference workshop on inclusive mentoring.
- Complimentary YIC Reception with APS leadership and YIC Scholars.
- Annual Meeting Awards Ceremony, Annual Meeting program app, and APS website recognition.
Mentor eligibility & requirements:
- Current APS member.
- Track record of externally funded research program and proposal review experience
- Register for and attend the annual meeting.
- Commit to reviewing research proposals from YIC scholars in preparation for the YIC half-day conference.*
- Attend the YIC half-day colloquium and provide feedback to YIC scholars on their proposals. The colloquium will be held from 8:00 am to 12:00 noon on Wednesday, March 20, 2024.
*YIC Mentors and Scholars will be matched at least 6 weeks prior to the annual meeting. Mentors will receive copies of the scholars’ research proposals (4-6 page limit/proposal) at that time and asked to review and prepare constructive feedback for the scholars to be presented at the YIC half-day colloquium. Each mentor will be asked to review 3-4 proposals.